Friday, May 3, 2013

A word (or two) about the Balticon Colorways

(cue melodramatic music)

I don't want to bore you all with any long sob stories.  So I'll try to keep it short and tear free...

The short version is that while I still love creating hand dyed yarn, I don't have the space, time, or to be honest, the desire to do it much at all anymore.  My Etsy shop has been closed (for all intents and purposes since I pulled all the stock) for a year now.  I still have a few skeins taking up space here that I should list and get rid of...if only to free up the space and make a few dollars.

That said, Balticon is so very special to me.  And, the Balticon Colorways even more so because they represent my two creative loves (yarn and words) colliding and resulting in something unique.  Balticon is my one special weekend each year. It's a chance to see friends from all over the country, be surrounded by creative people who understand not just me but the challenges I face creatively, and to spend a long weekend focusing just on creativity. 

I started dying these colorways as a way to pull together my love of the stories and podcasts that are created by those friends I see at Balticon each year with my love of yarn and color.  I experience life in color...feelings are colors, characters are colors, words and stories evoke colors. I love translating things I read or listen to into colorways. To take one piece of art and use it as inspiration for a raw material that someone else will then turn into their own piece of art is a beautiful cycle.

I have since turned these yarns that are created in honor of the people and stories that make up Balticon into the way I pay for the privilege of attending each year. So, they serve a purpose besides just being pretty.  The proceeds from the sales of the Balticon Colorways is how I can afford to attend. The only way I can afford to attend.

So, I would like to say, in advance, to anyone who purchases these yarns, a sincere and heartfelt thank you. I hope they bring you hours of knitting enjoyment followed by years of joy as you use whatever you create. They are truly a labor of love.

1 comment:

  1. You have my undying thanks for making one of my books part of this project. I am deeply honored.

    ReplyDelete