Sunday, August 22, 2010

Hayride

Next up in the parade of new colorways for Fall and Winter of 2010 is "Hayride".  

Most of my colorways are of the 'painted' variety.  That means that when I am dyeing the yarn I lay the skein out on my work surface flat as a stack of ovals so that I can see the whole skein.  I then apply the dye to the skeins in sections, working it into the yarn by hand to make sure I have the saturation level I want.  The sections of color might be as big as half the skein, or as small as just an inch or two in length.  When I have finished, if it is a new colorway I draw a diagram that shows me which colors went where on the skein and add any other notes I might need to be able to replicate the colorway again at a later date.  These notes include things like dilution strength or other dye mixture notes.  Then, the next time I need to make a batch of a particular colorway I just pull out my notebook, open to the page for that colorway, and away we go.

Every so often I will do a colorway that is 'container dyed' instead of 'painted'.  This means that I put the skeins to be dyed in a container and apply the dye in a more random way.  I usually start by either pushing the skeins off to one side and pouring the dye into the container next to the skeins (for a more diluted, pastel effect) or by pouring the dye down over the yarn and then submerging the yarn in the liquid for more saturated colors.  In either case, I then turn the skeins over to expose the still undyed parts and repeat.  Depending on how many colors I am combining I will leave some yarn exposed for the next color.  This continues until I feel like I am done.  For new colorways it can be hard to find this point.  It can  be hard to find the line between not quite ready and overdone.  Later, when I need to repeat the colorway it is easier because I almost always keep a reference skein of these yarns around to remind me what it should look like when it is done.  The notes for these colorways are a lot different and much more subjective.  "Twelve pours of yellow, five pours of red" is the first instruction for "Early Autumn".  I kid you not.

Recently I had a request for a colorway that had pumpkin orange, brown, sage green, and purple in it.  I don't have a 'sage' green so I decided to use 'spruce' instead.  I decided to make this one of the container dyed colorways.  The result of those colors and that method is "Hay Ride".

The colors of hay, the hay wagon, indian corn, fall.





































I love the speckles of purple and green!




















Next up Blueberries...

No comments:

Post a Comment